If you’ve been following Smith & Associates Real Estate’s series 100 Things You Need to Know About Gasparilla, you’ve noticed we’ve talked a lot about the weekend the pirates invade Tampa Bay. Over time, Gasparilla has become more than just a weekend event. It’s about being proud of Tampa Bay’s local culture. The group behind the Gasparilla Music Festival has put together an event full of local flavor, and it’s worth talking about. Here are 10 things you need to know about the Gasparilla Music Festival:
1. The Gasparilla Music Festival was founded in 2011. The first festival took place on March 10, 2012 in Downtown Tampa’s Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park.
The Gasparilla Music Festival has grown significantly in the last couple of years, and has become a two day festival. This year’s festival will be held at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park on Saturday March 8th and Sunday March 9th.
2. The Flaming Lips, RJD2, Delta Spirit, Los Amigos Invisibles, Adrian Younge’s Venice Dawn, Anders Osborne, J Roddy Walston & the Business, Culture featuring Kenyatta Hill, Those Darlins, Dirty Bourbon River Show, Benjamin Booker, Good Graeff, Sunbears!, Will Quinlan & The Holy Slow Train, Sons of Hippies, Alexander & the Grapes, Atlantic Oceans, Matt Woods, Zulu Wave, Deluxe, Hymn for Her, Connor Zwetsch, and WAHH World Fusion Band will perform on Saturday March 8th.
3. Tampa Realtor Ian Koteles’s band 10th Concession will play Sunday, March 9th, along with: Trombone Shorty, Jason Isbell, Groupo Fantasma, The Soul Rebels, Tea Leaf Green, Spam Allstars, Hackensaw Boys, Amanda Shires, SWIMM, Matt Hires, Florida Night Heat, Under the Willow, Dewars, and Jim Chamber’s Music Box.
4. GMF’s website has bios and YouTube videos for the 2014 lineup. Check it out, and you’ll sound like an expert when you go!
5. Tickets can be bought online or at the following Tampa Bay locations: Daddy Kool Records, located at 666 Central Avenue in St. Pete; Mojo Music & Books, located at 2540 E. Fowler Avenue near USF’s main campus; Microgroove, located at 4906 N. Florida Avenue in Seminole Heights; KT Janes located at 1718 S Dale Mabry Highway in South Tampa; and Duckweed Urban Market, located at 803 N. Tampa Street, and The Hub Bar, located at 719 N Franklin Street, in Downtown Tampa.
6. If you buy your tickets in advance you’ll get both days for $60. Admission on March 8th will be $40 and $30 on March 9th.
7. The Gasparilla Music Festival is more than just a good time. It also supports some great Tampa Bay causes dedicated to music and education. GMF’s Recycled Tunes program provided refurbished and donated instruments to Tampa Bay-area schools. New instruments were donated to West Tampa Elementary School. They sponsored the Patel Conservatory’s Rock School Blowout. Young musicians rocked the Straz Center, and two scholarships were awarded.
8. The food at the 2014 Gasparilla Music Festival promises to be as good as the music. Local restaurants, caterers and vendors will showcase our city’s culinary creativity. Here’s who will be there, and what they’ll offer:
- Anise Global Gastrobar – Stinky Bunz
- Alessi Bakery – Eclairs and Cake Pops
- Cafe Hey – Cuban Sandwiches
- Dochos – Monte Cristo and Fried Delights
- Ellas Folk Art Cafe – Chicken and Waffle Cone and Ceviche
- Holy Hog BBQ Food Truck – Bar-B-Que
- Hot Donut Cart – Fresh Coffee & Donuts
- The Independent – Indy Grilled Cheese
- Inside The Box Cafe – Mojo Pork Tostones and Grilled Vegetable Baguette
- Kona Ice – Shaved Ice and Ice Cream
- Malio’s Prime Steakhouse – Prime Rib Sandwiches
- Parnell Foods – Fresh Lemonade and Nachos
- Pipo’s Cafe – Paella
- Seabreeze Trolley Cafe – Devil Crabs
- The Refinery – Smoked Pork and Gator Sausage with Southern Slaw
- Ulele – Florida Avocado Puree and Gulf Shrimp and Blue Crab Cocktail
- Your Pie Pizza Food Truck – Pizza
- What Ever Pops – Gourmet Ice Pops
9. If you’d like to attend the festival as a volunteer, you can sign up here.
10. This is a great time for out-of-town friends and family to visit Tampa Bay. When you’re not at the Gasparilla Music Festival, use this interactive map to explore Downtown Tampa. We’re sure you’ll find something new and exciting to love!